Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:17:39 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        DJ Boris <dj_boris@mail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how can I stop named to dial out at startup

DJ Boris wrote:
> yes I have dialup yes.
> my named.conf is actually quite simple as I only use it for dns forwarding
> therefore I don't actually need to set the heartbeat-interval. if I start
> named, let it dial, wait for the ppp time out to expire and leave the system
> for days without any traffic it doesn't dial. so it is working properly. the
> only thing that I can't uinderstand is why named makes ppp dial out when it
> is only suppoed to forward dns requests. and I have no other app that does
> dns requests.

I'm not 100% sure I understand you here.
You seem to think that forwarding DNS requests should not cause DNS to trigger
a dial.  This would only be true if your forwarders did not require a dial to
reach.
I don't understand your concern with the fact that it dials on startup.  Do
you start and stop the DNS server a lot?  If you really need it to stop, add
suppress-initial-notify to yes.  See if that helps.

Hope I've said something here that is helpful.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies