Date:      Tue, 22 Jan 2002 11:45:00 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AOL in Negotiations to Buy Red Hat

Baldur Gislason wrote:
> > Not that I care what Red Hat does. Their distro is a big monstrocity
> > in my opinion, but then, most of them are. Linux is probably a good
> > kernel, seeing how there are enough mods out there to do just about
> > anything with it, but I'd much rather see a *BSD-style distro built
> > around Linux.
>
> There is such a distribution, it's called Slackware
> (www.slackware.com).
> It uses BSD fashioned binary packages,

http://www.gentoo.org looks interesting.  They even have a version of
the ports system, which Slackware lacks.  In fact right now they don't
have binary packages -- everything has to be built from source, apart
I think from some very minimal initial binary install.  I have no idea
how reliable it is, but if I ever want/need to use linux again, I'll
probably give this a shot...

On that subject, why does everyone compare slackware to the BSDs?  The
only common thing I can see is Walnut Creek which is in the past, and
the bsd-style init which I don't really care about when the system is
working.  Apart from license and reliability, the the two things that
distinguish BSD (for me, anyway) are "make world" and the ports
system, neither of which Slackware had, last time I checked.  And I
don't know how good their packaging system is at dependency checking,
etc.