Date:      Mon, 24 Oct 2011 08:31:37 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        joeb1 <joeb1@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sysinstall@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/161931: bsdinstall(8): (add sysinstall partition config as option)

On 10/23/11 20:30, joeb1 wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR bin/161931; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "joeb1"<joeb1@a1poweruser.com>
> To:<bug-followup@FreeBSD.org>,
> 	<fbsd8@a1poweruser.com>
> Subject: Re: bin/161931: bsdinstall(8): (add sysinstall partition config as option)
> Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 09:28:42 +0800
>
>   Yes I mean the mbr+bsdlabel  method as there is no other method available in
>   sysinstall. And along with this, help info needs to be added explaining
>   under what conditions one method or the other is used. Help saying something
>   along the lines of older PC bios./hard drives use the mbr+bsdlabel
>   sysinstall method and newer PC bios./hard drives (manufactured 2010+) need
>   to use the bsdinstall method because pc manufactures and Microsoft have
>   changed the boot process. Or what ever is the true reason for this
>   difference. Installers need to have the correct info so they can make the
>   correct decision about what method to select.

That's fully supported, if you want to do it, and is even the default if
the drive is already MBR partitioned. The difference between the two is
that GPT is a lot more flexible than MBR (no 4-partition limit, for
instance), and allows nice things like labels. There's no old/new
machine difference -- 386s can boot GPT just as well as Core i7s. But
it's really a matter of personal preference. The only real difference is
that you can't dual-boot Windows with a GPT disk (this is why only the
"Entire Disk for FreeBSD" option in the installer sets up GPT). We can
extend the online help to this effect.
-Nathan