Date:      Fri, 09 Aug 2002 13:48:30 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   fdisk vs. sysinstall slicing and bootstrapping

I know that boot0 in stable will allow booting from a slice located
more than 1023 cylinders into the disk. I have done just that on an
installed system. Works great.

But if I use either boot0cfg -B or fdisk -B to write a boot block, it
seems unable to deal with booting this partition. Is there a way to
safely re-install an mbr with the sysinstall tools without losing the
data in the root slice and get the system to be bootable again?

I have both install and fixit CDs.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)