Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 10:16:40 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RX problems with Macronix ethernet cards

On Thursday, 13 July 2000 at 16:27:38 -0700, Bill Paul wrote:

> Ok, some of you have been reporting problems with Macronix ethernet
> cards which, whether you realize it or not, are due to the chip not
> bring being programmed correctly to receive broadcast packets. Normally
> the chip *would* be programmed correctly, except that Macronix has
> come out with some new chip revs that are slightly different from the
> chips on the sample cards I have here. This is why I haven't been able to
> duplicate this problem locally.
>
> <snip>
>
> - Step 1: Make a note of the actual vendor/model number of this card.
>   Look at the box/manual/windoze driver diskette/etc that came with
>   the card; the information should be there somewhere. If it's a cheap
>   no-name card of some kind, just say so, but if it's LinkSys, D-Link
>   or whatever, please tell me.

OK.  I have three cards called SOHOware(tm) Fast SFA110A.  I doubt the
vendor (NDC Communications Inc. in Sunnyvale) knows the meaning of the
abbreviation SFA in large parts of the English-speaking world.  The
label on the packet indicates that they're revision B4.

> - Step 2: Actually *look* at the card, with your eyeballs, and make note
>   of the part number on the controller chip. Macronix chips typically
>   say MX or MXIC on them, and the model number will contain the string
>   "98715" in it somewhere. Note however that I don't want you to tell
>   me that it says 98715: I already *know* that. I want to know the whole
>   part number, i.e. MX98715AEC or MX98715AEC-C. DO NOT just write back
>   to me and say "uh... it's a 98715" or I will hunt you down, drain the
>   fat from your body, make expensive soap out of it and sell it upper
>   class department stores.

It's a 98715.  Oops, wrong answer.

The chip has the following inscriptions:

    MX (large font)
    MX98715AEC-C
    M9941
    TA151301
    37DCX

> - Step 3: With the card(s) installed in your machine, type the following
>   command:
>
> 	# pciconf -l > /tmp/pciconf.out

Here's the complete output for one machine.  The dc0 output for the
other was identical.

none0@pci0:0:0: class=0x060000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71908086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
pcib1@pci0:1:0: class=0x060400 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71918086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x01
isab0@pci0:7:0: class=0x060100 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71108086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
atapci0@pci0:7:1:       class=0x010180 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71118086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
uhci0@pci0:7:2: class=0x0c0300 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71128086 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
none1@pci0:7:3: class=0x068000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71138086 rev=0x02 hdr=0x00
dc0@pci0:9:0:   class=0x020000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x053110d9 rev=0x25 hdr=0x00
ahc0@pci0:13:0: class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x71789004 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
ahc1@pci0:15:0: class=0x010000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x81789004 rev=0x00 hdr=0x00
atapci1@pci0:19:0:      class=0x018000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00041103 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
atapci2@pci0:19:1:      class=0x018000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x00041103 rev=0x01 hdr=0x00
none2@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0xff03102b chip=0x0521102b rev=0x03 hdr=0x00

>   Then send the contents of the pciconf.out file to me so I can see PCI
>   revision codes. If you have more than one Macronix card in your system,
>   be sure and describe which card is which, i.e. if dc0 is an MX98715AEC
>   and dc1 is an MX98715AEC-D, be sure to state this fact clearly.

All the cards are the same, bought at Fry's on the 16th June.  The
other two may have different manufacturing dates, but I don't want to
drag them out of the machines they're in just for that.

> Once you have all of this information collected and formatted nicely,
> e-mail it to me at wpaul@freebsd.org and I will generate a patch to
> if_dc so that I can special-case these chips correctly. In the meantime,
> if you can't resist the urge to fiddle a bit, try the following:
>
> <snip>
>
> This will force the driver to calculate the CRC value for a 128-bit
> hash table.

Yup, that does the job.

You should probably send this to -CURRENT as well.

Greg