Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 2003 13:41:08 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter B <pb@ludd.luth.se>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bt878 & whitenoise (some observations..)

I use FreeBSD-4.7 on a motherboard Asus A7V333 with cpu AMD XP1800,
Brooktree 878 card. The lineout of the Bt878 is connected to CD input of the
motherboard (aux not supported in freebsd4.7?). Programs used is fxtv + ffmpeg.

I'm experiencing heavy white noise added to recordings done with the builtin
CMedia CMI8738 soundchip. However it only occours on certain TV channels and
won't affect the lineout of the Bt878 (no noise on the stereo).
And can sometimes come and go by restarting fxtv.. :)

The fenomen is present even if I freeze the picture in fxtv, and use an
audio only record program.

Anyway I did a table with the fxtv channel number + noise presence. And used
fxtv to tune channel, exit. Start ffmpeg to record. As can be seen channels
with a low frequency is more likely to be affected.

5	Noise
6	Noise
7	?              (will know in aprox 3 hours, no transmission)
8	Ok
9	Ok
10	Noise
11	Ok
12	Ok
90	Ok
91	Ok
92	Ok
93	Ok

Anyone know about any interference issues regarding this?
Or maybe there is a bug in the CMI8738 hw/sw ..?

             /P