Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 13:13:51 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   gif0 tunnel and rip (using zebra)

I'm trying to propagate rip routes using zebra (ripd) across a gif0
tunnel interface to another freebsd box running zebra.

I have zebra and ripd running, but they only seem to broadcast routes
out the fxp0 interface, and not across the gif0 tunnel.  It's quite
annoying.  A "show ip protocols" in the ripd vty shows that both fxp0
and gif0 are sending and receiving RIP updates.  However tcpdump shows
otherwise.  I really don't need to use zebra, but I'd like to.

Otherwise, if someone can help me with a gated config which completely
excludes fxp1, does not broadcast a default route, and only broadcasts
and accepts routes on the fxp0 and gif0 interfaces, I would gladly use
that.

The endpoints on the gif0 tunnel are tied down to addresses assigned to
the lo1 interface on each side.  Should I tie these down to the
addresses assigned to fxp0 instead?  When I did it this way, traceroute
would not work across the tunnel.

Also, does FreeBSD 4.5 support GRE tunnels?

Thanks.

Jay