Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 13:30:47 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        dsyphers@uchicago.edu
Cc:        developers@FreeBSD.ORG, security@FreeBSD.ORG, nectar@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Is 4.3 security branch officially "out of commission"?

David Syphers wrote:

> On Monday 20 May 2002 04:37 am, Maxim Sobolev wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I was notified by the members of the local FreeBSD community (we have
> > a very strong presence of FreeBSD in ISP circles here) that seemingly
> > 4.3 security branch isn't supported anymore, even though there was no
> > official announcement about decommissioning.
>
> See http://www.freebsd.org/security/index.html.  I quote
> ---
> At this time, security advisories are being released for:
>
> FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE
> FreeBSD 4.5-RELEASE
> FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE
>
> Older releases are not maintained and users are strongly encouraged to
> upgrade to one of the supported releases mentioned above.
> ---
>
> As Kris Kennaway mentioned on May 8 (security@ archives...), the official
> lifetimes of the security branches are not long, although the security team
> may choose to extend support longer as a courtesy, presumably if they have
> the manpower and interest.

I see.

What is the official procedure when somebody not from the security
team want to maintain older releases? For example, as I said there is
significant push from the local community to merge recent security
fixes into older releases, so that it is likely that they could
provide to me with tested patches for older releases they are
interested in. May I merge them into 4.3 security branch without my
commit bit being suspended for inappropriate MFCs into security
branch?

-Maxim