Date:      Sat, 7 Sep 2002 03:15:15 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        "Neal E. Westfall" <nwestfal@directvinternet.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why did evolution fail?

On 2002-09-06 10:02 +0000, Neal E. Westfall wrote:
> The reason not all of the laws written in Leviticus are any longer
> applicable is that they had a theological purpose.

That's so convenient, isn't it?

> What is *your* rationale for opposing slavery?  I'll tell you mine.
> I am grateful to God for having mercy on me as a sinner.  As such, I
> seek to glorify God by emulating His compassion that He had on me.

Why do you need to have `God', or anything else that can take its
place in your systems of beliefs, to set an example?  Can't you, as an
individual, a human being respect and value others without someone
showing you ``the way''?

> Do you suppose that God is *obligated* to have mercy on everyone?

Yes.

> An obligation implies justice, not mercy.

Of course, one of the attributes given to gods and goddesses in most
of the religions of the world (a few notable exceptions do exist, but
they are usually accused of anthropomorphism), is their inherent
tendency to be `just, and righteous to all'.  Or, is a god or goddess
just and righteous only when it suits him/her, to ask for more
sacrifices/belief/whatever?

Of course, I have to shoot myself now for breaking my promise NOT to
take part in this thread again :)

- Giorgos