Date:      Fri, 23 May 1997 16:56:34 -0600
From:      "Aaron D. Gifford" <agifford@infowest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   How can I boot from partition #3 on a 4Gig HD

Hello,

Is there any way to boot FreeBSD when it is installed on the third of 4 1
Gig partitions on my SCSI HD?  Is there any solution yet?  I've Win95 and
WinNT on the first 2, FreeBSD 2.2.1 on the 3rd (but can't boot), and Linux
on the 4th.  I installed BootEasy, but it is useless.  I have to do a
floppy boot for Linux.  Will I be reduced to the same for FreeBSD?

Someone once explained the technical reasons why it was difficult or
impossible (at that time) to boot from such a partition, but I still
haven't been able to find it in the archives.  The search tool either
returns too many matches to be of any use or not enough.  (I wish it a
"phrase search" feature, as well as "before" and "after" versions of the
AND boolean.)

Thanks!

Aaron out.