Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 17:50:13 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG (Gary Palmer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Questions), chat@FreeBSD.ORG (FreeBSD Chat)
Subject:   Re: BSD vs Linux

Gary Palmer writes:

> Alain FAUCONNET wrote in message ID
> <199605221138.AA17317@iaka.biomath.jussieu.fr>:
>> * Availability of pre-compiled binaries and ports for non-commercial software:
>> 			Linux +10, FreeBSD 0
>
> One comment about this.
>
> Linux is schitzophrenic (or however you spell it). It has a mixture of
> Sys V and BSD in it, and that sometimes leads to porting
> problems. Perhaps there are so many pre-compiled `.tgz' files for
> linux as it's more difficult to port s/w to linux than to a BSD
> derrivative? Quite a few of the ports that I've seen done (and are in
> the ports collection) don't even need patching, they compile out of
> the box, and without needing special ``FreeBSD'' ifdefs in the
> Makefiles or source code...

To be fair to Linux, I don't think that it's that difficult to port
to.  A lot of pure System V systems (*with* heritage :-) are worse.
May I say names? UnixWare? SCO "UNIX"?

I think the real reason why it's easier to port to *BSD (yes, I agree
with this part) is that most of the free software out on the net was
written on BSD boxes.  This, I suppose, reflects that fact that BSD
has been around a lot longer than Linux, and also that people have
traditionally had more fun with BSD than they have with System V.

> It helps to have a heritage...

It helps to have a good heritage.
Greg