Date:      Tue, 27 Jun 1995 21:57:33 +0200
From:      esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Doug Rabson <dfr@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Doug Rabson <dfr@freefall.cdrom.com>CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com, cvs-usrsbin@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/pstat pstat.c

On Jun 27, 21:10, Stefan Esser wrote:
} On Jun 27,  4:07, Doug Rabson wrote:
} } Subject: cvs commit: src/usr.sbin/pstat pstat.c
}
} }   Log:
} }   Changes to support version 3 of the NFS protocol.
} }   The version 2 support has been tested (client+server) against FreeBSD-2.0,
} }   IRIX 5.3 and FreeBSD-current (using a loopback mount).  The version 2 support
} }   is stable AFAIK.
} }   The version 3 support has been tested with a loopback mount and minimally
} }   against an IRIX 5.3 server.  It needs more testing and may have problems.
} }   I have patched amd to support the new variable length filehandles although
} }   it will still only use version 2 of the protocol.
}
} Tried to access a DEC Alpha using the patched NFS code,
} and get a panic:
}
} panic: allocbuf: page changed offset??!!!?

Following up to my own message:

NFS to a DEC Alpha (OSF/1 V3.0) works fine, if the
"-3" option is given.
I.e. the panic only happens, if a standard version 2
NFS mount is used, the version 3 works reliable and
I can see the accesses tallied (using "nfsstat" on
the Alpha, which offers seperate statistics for protocol
version 2 and version 3). (BTW: Seems I've got the only
NFS3 client here ... :)

So, a NFS3 mount with no options will make a FreeBSD
client panic, while a mount request with -3 specified
seems to work fine.

Regards, STefan

--
 Stefan Esser				Internet:	<se@ZPR.Uni-Koeln.DE>
 Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen	Tel:		+49 221 4706021