Date:      Mon, 18 May 1998 07:00:18 -0500
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: system config database...

At 11:42 PM -0500 5/17/98, Dan Janowski wrote:

>Should there be a /config, or a /etc/config?
>(me, /config)
>
>Should I look at adding a statically linked
>compiled program for boot time generation of
>/etc files or strictly a shell?
>(me, non-shell)
>
>Some way of having the boot loader pass a
>site option to the kernel which then becomes
>either a sysctl or an ENV for use by the
>configurator?
>
>This would be attachable to a unified text or
>X based editing system that can become a very
>nice interface for users of new and old vintage.
>Not to the exculsion of direct vi interaction though.
>
>Any thoughts?

1. Please do not pollute the root with yet another directory.
   There are already too many. "/" should be reserved
   for system mount points and those few files that are
   necessary to get started in the bootstrap process.

2. I have no problem with an "m4" based configuration
   generation tool. However, if I understand your intent,
   m4 is not appropriate for use in the boot process.
   The boot process needs to be "lean and mean" Just grab
   your parameters and run. There may be scenarios where
   dynamic regeneration of the configuration needs to be
   done in the later stages of the boot process. However,
   this should not be the default case.

Richard Wackerbarth