Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 20:21:15 -0500
From:      "Terry Witherspoon" <t403403@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Very slow disk io on P3 with FreeBSD 4.1

Hi,

I've a Pentium III box with 4.1 installed. Disk IO on this
machine is abnormally slow. Fsck'ing a gigabyte partition
may take 45 minutes. Backups are also extremely slow. I
installed a second disk on second IDE controller with only
a large filesystem and backup partitions on controller 1 to
2 in single user mode. It takes about an hour to copy 2 gigs
of backups to the new drive. The machine is an IBM P3 workstation.

Is it possible I've some weird disk conflict? I see no error
messages in my log files. The disk drive is a Maxtor 52049H4.
Again the only problems I've had is very sluggish IO.

Thanks for any advice.  tw