Date:      Mon, 04 May 1998 10:07:29 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   re: dump/restore - broken?

Tom wrote:

>   Beware, dump/restore is also broken for large filesystems.  I personally
> think that dump/restore should be dropped from FreeBSD.
>
> Tom

Eeek! - Please don't tell me that! - I use dump and restore to backup 3 x
9Gig filesystems on a monthly basis, and my own machines 12+Gb on a weekly
backup...

Whats wrong with dump/restore? - I remember reading an article a while ago
(either somewhere on the freebsd.org site - or linked from their) discussing
the various backup methods (Tar, Amanda, Dump etc.) - saying that Dump comes
out on top for 'out the box' functionality, and ability to cope with
'open/updated' files during the backup etc?

We use it here because it's quick enough for what we want to do, you can
install a FreeBSD system - and it's installed by default, and it 'appears'
to work... (I say 'appears' as now your saying it's broke!?)

Regards

Karl Pielorz