Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 1996 16:03:58 GMT
From:      David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Checksum problems installing 2.1.5R

At 11:29 AM 11/8/96 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>Have you tried deleting and recreating the FreeBSD partition you're
>installing into?  Sometimes old failed installs clash and cause all manner
>of wacky problems.  In fact you should never install over a failed
>install.

OK, I may have had a problem here..  At what stage does the FreeBSD
partition manager commit changes to the disk?  I've gone to the extent of
deleting the FreeBSD partitions after a failed install, rebooting, and
trying to install again.  When  I do this, after rebooting, the partition
editor shows the deleted partitions as unused, so I've been assuming they've
been properly deleted.  Is this a correct assumption?    Could there be
remnants of a failed install causing problems.  My first install failed due
to network problems (FTP install couldn't cd to the distribution [*]) so
there ouwld have been a failed attempt on there already.

>I would be more inclined toward a disk problem.

Uh-oh :-(

Thanks, again, for your help.

David

[*] - FTP install has regularly fallen over for me, either failing to cd to
the distribution or failing to make a connection.  I have a direct ethernet
link to my local mirror, so I am rather puzzled by this.  This may be just
the luck of the draw, but FTP using a client running on a Solaris box, or
even windows, generally always seemed more reliable than on my old FreeBSD
box.  The particular problem has always been retrieving a directory listing
- it would just hang until the connection timed out.  Data transfer rates
and all other commands were fine.  Using Netscape as a FTP client also
worked fine.  I can't personally see how this would be a client problem, but
is it?

--
David Goddard
Management Information Services, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK