Date:      Sat, 1 Jul 2000 23:17:15 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
To:        Bryan Liesner <bleez@bellatlantic.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD K6-2 / 550

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>
> >I *DID* post, and HOPED for a response like this one over the last
> >month or so.  Today is the first dialog I've had off the list
> >with answers.
> >
> >Larry
>
> Just a thought - try disabling the external cache memory on the
> mobo.  I know it will run painfully slow, but that's a good place to
> start.  Some manufacturers cut corners there.
Did that, and it ran fine.  Again, I tried LOTS of things.

> I'm not trying to be a smartass, but before I bought my motherboard, I
> did a little homework and the Soyo got great reviews from a few
> different sources.  I can't say anything positive or negative about
> the Shuttle, I'm just not familiar with it.
It's what my dealer sells (He gives good prices, and stands behind
it.  I've bought LOTS of stuff over the years from him both for personal
use and for the ISP I ran (CyberRamp Internet Services, Dallas, now part
of Internet America, Inc.)).

I was looking to upgrade an aged P-90 to something faster, and cheaply,
so they recommended the AMD.  Didn't work out this time, but
I still like the guys at the dealer.

> For what it's worth, you're firmware version on the adaptec gave us
> all fits at work.  Unfortunately the only platform we distribute our
> software on is NT 4.0, so I can't remark on how FreeBSD handles it.
It ran fine on UnixWare 2.1.3, FreeBSD (on the P-90, and now the P-III,
although I did swap the board for a 1.16 one from work
as Problem source id), but it didn't change the AMD case.

> Gotta make a buck :)  Corporate in their infinite wisdom dropped our
> Unix based products. NT is really neat-o and comes on those cool CDs
> with the holograms :)
I understand that one.

Larry Rosenman                      http://www.lerctr.org/~ler
Phone: +1 972-414-9812 (voice) Internet: ler@lerctr.org