Date:      Tue, 01 May 2001 00:00:01 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Yoshihiro Koya <Yoshihiro.Koya@math.yokohama-cu.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A question about max_uid

On Tue, 01 May 2001 06:56:56 +0900, Yoshihiro Koya wrote:

> Hello,
> chpass: updating the database...
> pwd_mkdb: 2147483647 > recommended max uid value (65535)

Gee, that message looks familiar. ;-)

The warning was a concession that I implemented after discussions with
BDE.  The way we want to go for now is to have the entire system
uid_t-clean (currently unsigned 32-bit) but to issue warnings from
appropriate utilities when values that can't be represented by an
unsigned short.

> Added to this, the above pwd_mkdb commands tells me that
> the recommended max uid value is 65535, which is
> a 16-bit UID, and this value 65535 differs from the restricted value
> of pw command.
> It might be better to unify such a recommended UID value on the
> system.

Absolutely.  If you have the time, that'd be great!

Ciao,
Sheldon.