Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2007 06:35:45 -0700
From:      Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
To:        Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS4 on FreeBSD?

On Mon, 2007-04-02 at 07:00 -0500, Jim Rees wrote:
> Kerberized nfs does not necessarily mean v4.  But it is starting to look
> like v4 might eventually become widely adopted.  The linux, Sun, and IBM
> implementations all work and interoperate.

Hmm.  It was my impression that the rpcsec_gss stuff was only for NFS4.
I take it that my impression was wrong?  (I guess I had better double-
check and make sure that it's really NFS4 that is needed, and not
kerberized NFS3.)

> We did a v4 client and it's in the tree now, but sadly neglected.  It would
> take some work to make it usable.  Rick Macklem has a server that works
> quite well.  I don't know what would be involved in putting it in the tree.

Yeah, I'm aware of both the v4 client in the tree and Rick's server.

> The big thing missing from our client is security (kerberos).  We have a
> later client, available on our web site, that does security but it would
> need some work too.

I take it that the later client is a descendant of the one that is in
the FreeBSD tree?  That might be a place to start.  Has it been used at
all?

> No one is working on this right now as far as I know.

Yeah, that much seems clear.  Sigh.  I guess that means if I want it
I'll have to do it myself...
--
Frank Mayhar frank@exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/