Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 16:11:09 +0100 (MET)
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (user alias)
Subject:   Re: WD8013 problem

[trimmed]
> >think it's hardware or a driver problem. Let me enumerate the
> >problems I have:
> >
> >1/  Connecting from my remote 1.1.5.1 site via slip gives the following
> >    picture.
> >    $ telnet gil
> >
> >    Trying 137.226.31.2...
> >    Connected to gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de.
> >    Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> >       FreeBSD (gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de) (ttyp2)
> >
> >    (note the missing login: prompt - it only appears when I type <cr>)

To clarify: If I do nothing here the prompt never appears
until the connections times out.

> >    Same telnet to a neighboured machine:
> >    $ telnet blues
> >    Trying 137.226.31.18...
> >    Connected to blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de.
> >    Escape character is '^]'.
> >
> >       FreeBSD (blues.physik.rwth-aachen.de) (ttyp0)
> >
> >    login:
> >

> This happens on several of my FreeBSD machines. I'm not using WD8013s

see above: Are you sure it's not slow response, process activation
or whatever happens on the server side? I often see 'slow' connections
where the prompt appears after a significant delay. But this is not what
I'm describing.
In my case the prompt appears immediately after I hit return
as if it's already there.