Date:      Mon, 30 May 2005 04:52:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Testing a DHCP server without jeopardizing my IP configuration?

Hi,

I have remote root-access to a FreeBSD 4.11 PC
inside a private network. The IP of this PC is fixed,
but all other Windows PCs on the network obtain their
IP number via DHCP from another gateway/router.

I have no access to the gateway/router.

There is possibly a problem with the DHCP server.
Although the gateway still functions as a gateway,
the DHCP server might not be handing out IP numbers
anymore (I suspect that the dhclients of the Windows
PCs are desperately hanging on to their old IP
numbers, although already expired).

I want to communicate with the DHCP server from my
FreeBSD system and find out whether it is or is not
handing out IP numbers anymore. However, I want to
do this without jeopardizing the FreeBSD's IP
configuration.

Is there a way to test the DHCP server, without
running dhclient and thus without losing my FreeBSD
system's IP configuration?

Thank you,
Rob.