Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:25:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Subject:   Re: Problems installing FreeBSD 4.0 20000125-CURRENT

On 27-Jan-00 David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 01:28:10PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>>
>> In this case, I actually assume that the DHCP server will be providing
>> the host name and specifically *ignore* the user-provide hostname
>
> IMHO, that is the wrong assumption.  Most DHCP servers I've seen aren't
> setup to provide hostnames to the requrestor.

Why not check to see what the hostname is after dhclient is run and then
stick that name in the network setup dialog box.  If the user does edit
the hostname themselves, then you can flag that event, and use that flag
when writing out /etc/rc.conf to mean that the hostname variable should
be set.  Actually, this doesn't work all that well because the boot
floppy doesn't include /bin/hostname in the crunch so /sbin/dhclient-script
can't set the hostname when it is sent out by a dhcp server.