Date:      01 May 2001 14:06:50 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Incorporate a new partion on toshiba 4005

I imagine this is really basic stuff but as have many aspects of
Freebsd this task seems very confusing.

The laptop has FreeBSD and Redhat linux and a skeleton intstall of
win98, on it.  I want to wipe out the linux partition and add it to
the FreeBSD space.

There seems to be no handy tool that supplies me with usable
information about the disk.  At least not with out major studies .

Fdisk output is nearly useless.  It apparently doens't see the linux
partition at all.

disklabel and diskpart both seem to expect irreversable commands with
out showing me what they'll do.  Or where.

That brings us to /stand/sysinstall and the fdisk editor.

Evey piece of documentation on www.FreeBSD.org  advises use of
/stand/sysinstall for compatability mode partitions.  (There is still
a skeleton install of Win/98)

Ok cool, but every one of them skates right over the firt big
stumbling block.

They tell you to `select a disk to work on'.  No mention of why two
are shown and I only have one.  Selecting either one shows me the
exact same picture but with a different name.

So how can I tell witch one to select?  Does it matter?  What are the
repercussions?

The rest of the instrutions look easy enough.