Date:      Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:37:00 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        brett@lariat.org (Brett Glass)
Cc:        ben@scientia.demon.co.uk, freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filtering port 25 (was Re: On hub.freebsd.org refusing to

Brett Glass writes:
> At 10:25 PM 9/25/99 +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> >Going further away from SMTP still, do you allow *any* traffic from
> >remote dial up hosts into your network? Do you allow any traffic from
> >your dial up hosts out of your network? If so, I'd like to know why you
> >think SMTP and HTTP deserve special treatment,
>
> In a word: spam. At least in the case of SMTP.

What about HTTP?

I guess the answer is "to filter Banner Ad downloads"?

I guess next we will disallow lookups of domain names that might
violate community standards.

The only answer to SPAM is implementing technology that makes it
impossible, and that's not the RBL or the DUL, so long as there
exists one machine with a static IP, no RBL entry, and an open
relay, somewhere in the world.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---