Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 96 12:45:58 +0100
From:      "John Richards" <john@zyqad.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hitachi ATAPI CD-ROM + big disks

Dear all,

QUESTION 1

I have just got a Hitachi ATAPI CD-rom - on trial - if it doesn't work I can
always return it and get a Mitsumi, but the Hitachi is cheap.  I tried last
night to install 2.1 from the CD-ROM.  The CD is attached to a PINE EIDE
controller on the secondary side as a slave device.  I have two Western Digital
disks on the Primary side.

It wouldn't go directly from DOS and I suspect too many TSRs etc so I tried the
atapi.flp approach.

During the boot from the floppy I get the wdc0 finds which finds both the disks
and is quite happy but although it finds wdc1 it does not report anything on
this device.

wdc1 at 0x170-??? irq 15 on isa
              ^^^ - I forget the number here but it seemed OK.

So when I get as far as selecting the device to install from sysinstall says it
can't find the CD.

I've looked at freebsd.org and a search threw up a couple of ideas
1.  Try the CD as slave on the primary side.
2.  Try inst_ide.bat

Is there anything else I should try?  before returning the CD as unusable and
paying out more money.

I'm sorry but SCSI is not an option due to cost.

QUESTION 2

Later today I should be taking delivery of a 1.2 Gb Western Digital IDE drive
which I intend to devote entirely to FreeBSD.  Currently I have :

wd0: WD 200 Mb drive shared between DOS & FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R
wd1: WD 250 Mb drive main FreeBSD 1.1.5.1R disk has / & /usr & swap.

I want to reorganise the disks such that the 200Mb drive is wholly DOS/Windoze,
the new 1.2 Gb disk is the main FreeBSD 2.1 disk / & /usr & swap, and the 250 Mb
disk is FreeBSD working files etc.

Does the 1.2 Gb disk have to be on the primary IDE controller for Boot Manager
to see it?
Can FreeBSD see any disks on the secondary IDE controller?

Other suggestions, ideas welcomed.

FINALLY

A big thank you to the FreeBSD team for the hard work they put into 2.1.  The
sysinstall program is 200%+ better than the hassle involved in 1.1.5.1.  Keep up
the good work.

Bye

John
(Play Violin & Ride Bike - but not at the same time)
John Richards                           * email : john@zyqad.co.uk
Zyqad Ltd,                              *
Suite 25, GPT Business Park,            *
Technology Drive, Beeston               * tel   : +44 115 922 0820
NOTTINGHAM. NG9 2ND.                    * fax   : +44 115 967 8374