Date:      Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:39:24 -0500
From:      Robert Blayzor <rblayzor.bulk@inoc.net>
To:        Pete French <petefrench@ticketswitch.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Big problems with 7.1 locking up :-(

On Jan 8, 2009, at 8:58 PM, Pete French wrote:
> I have a number of HP 1U servers, all of which were running 7.0
> perfectly happily. I have been testing 7.1 in it's various
> incarnations
> for the last couple of months on our test server and it has performed
> perfectly.

I noticed a problem with 7.0 on a couple of Dell servers.  Not sure if
this is related but when our system "froze" the box was pingable, and
you could switch virtual consoles... however, you could not type
anything on the screen or connect to any sockets.  Num-lock would
still work so the box wasn't solidly frozen.  This used to happen a
couple of times every week or two.  We've since then compiled the
kernel under the BSD scheduler to rule that out, and so far so good.
(our box was a Dell PE1750, 2GB of RAM, amr RAID controller, bge
network driver)  The primary application was just ntpd and apache with
mpm_worker & threads.

Since ULE is now default in 7.1 and not in 7.0, perhaps you can try
that?

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC