Date:      Thu, 27 Sep 2001 11:25:15 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: help me understand: make, also file locks

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, leegold wrote:

> Coming from the ms world, i always installed programs
> by pressing a button. i suppose the programs were in binary form.
> With freebsd I often see the  make  command associated w/installing.
> if someone could just briefly explain make, make install, and make clean?
>
> Some apllications need a file lock dir. what is this for?
>
> Thanks

make reads the Makefile (or makefile) in, usually, the directory in
which you type this command.  The Makefile has the instructions that
tell make what to make and how to do so.  What make should make is
called the target, and a Makefile can have any number of targets.

So when you type make install, make uses the install target. In ports
the install target actually calls a bunch of targets:

make fetch
make extract (this also checks the checksum of the file fetched)
make patch
make configure
make build
make install

If you read a Makefile for a particular port in the ports hierarchy,
you'll notice an .include statement at the end.  So make pulls in the
instructions from the file listed.  You'll also notice other statements
in the Makefile that may apply to all targets.  Editing a port's
Makefile is usually how you tailor the build to include or exclude
particular features you may want.

In ports typing make build (or make all) does everything but
installing the port.  You can then type make install to install it.

make clean deletes the work directory created for the port. You may
not want to do this until after you are sure the port is running as
you like.  make clean does not delete the files fetched, which are
put in /usr/ports/distfiles.

	Annelise

--
Annelise Anderson
Author of: 		 FreeBSD: An Open-Source Operating System for Your PC