Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 1996 13:25:04 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        branson@widomaker.com (Branson Matheson)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, bde@zeta.org.au, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: TERM=cons25 in roots' .profile?!?

>  I was trying to find a way to get the run level on a FreeBSD
>  machine.. and I did not come up with a way.  I can prove what level
>  it is at by what is mounted.. etc.. but nothing that definiativly
>  proves it. If we could find somthing ( that worked with just root
>  mounted r/o ) we could use that as a switch for the console setting.

Hi Branson,

If you are in single user mode, the profile that is run is the one in
"/.profile" (at least, it used to be, and I believe that this is still
true.  Somebody please correct me if not!).

If you are logging in, root's home directory as listed in /etc/passwd
is "/root", and the "/root/.profile" in that directory is run instead.

At this time, both .profiles are the same (linked).

That is the significance of Bruce's suggestion...  it is not perfect
but I think it is the solution I would consider preferable.  No solution
can really be perfect, methinks.

... JG