Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:57:23 -0400
From:      "Generic Player" <generic@unitedtamers.com>
To:        "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Overclocking AMD K6-'s and FreeBSD

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Freeze" <jim@freeze.org>
To: "Generic Player" <generic@unitedtamers.com>
Cc: <questions@freebsd.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2000 9:27 AM

> On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Generic Player wrote:
>
> > Who installed your chip, what is its core voltage, and how warped is the
top
> > surface?  There were alot of problems with the higher clocked k-6 II
chips
> > giving off too much heat, particularily the older 2.4v cores,  and
making
> > the system unstable.  If yours is pretty warped I would suggest lapping
it,
> > and make sure it has thermal grease on.  I can't stress that enough.
Actual
> > computer stores with certified technicians constantly leave out the
thermal
> > grease when installing chips, and it can be the major reason for such
high
> > heat.
>
> I have a 2.2v K-6 II. I previously had a 350MHz K6/2, but I could not get
> it working due to random panics and reboots.
>
> I now have installed a 450MHz K6/2 (nice flat surface) with a large
> hintsink with thermal compound and am clocking the chip at 400MHz and it
> runs fine.
>
> I was told (don't know how true this is) that a bad batch of K6's got out
> that were frequency challenged. With my luck, it is true and I got one.
>
> ..And yes, the guy who sold me the chip said he never used thermal
> grease. All he knew was windows. I guess he didn't have too many
> problems with windows, but freebsd seems to work the cpu much harder.
>
> Jim

He probably did have stability issues and just blamed it on windows.  I find
that happens alot.  Does your motherboard have a thermal sensor?  If it
does, and the temp is normal than it could be a bad chip, but the k-6 line
was almost as bad a cyrix for heat output, I have had to lap everyone I
owned.  Doing nothing but lapping one down to copper took the temp from 49
to 42.  Most aren't that bad, but it still makes a difference.  Also, is
your BIOS set to enable k-6 write allocate?  And is your kernel?  I found
that enabling it in the BIOS, but not in the kernel caused problems as well.
And that enabling it under windows could just plain cause problems.

Generic Player