Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 02:04:03 -0400
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Alex Deiter <tiamat@komi.mts.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with gem on receive: MAC rx fault, status 3

Apparently, On Mon, May 27, 2002 at 08:29:07AM +0400,
	Alex Deiter said words to the effect of;

> >> \: unknown command
> >> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> DOB> The loader does not have Ficl support yet, and thus cannot properly
> DOB> interrupt one of the start up scripts.  You can ignore this "error"; it
> DOB> hurts nothing right now.
>
> Thanks!
>
> On Netra T1 installed two 10/100 Mbps ethernet ports. Why one is accessible only?

Thomas Moestl ported the gem driver, I don't know much about it.  Most
likely the hardware violates the PCI spec in some way shape or form.

> severina# ifconfig -l
> gem0 lo0 ppp0
>
> What to do with an error 'MAC rx fault, status 3' ?

If it doesn't actually affect the interface just ignore it.  There
was a recent commit to the gem driver to fix a problem which sounds
related:

tmm         2002/05/24 05:47:42 PDT

  Modified files:
    sys/dev/gem          if_gem.c
  Log:
  Fully reset a gem on some error conditions; otherwise it would hang in
  about 1 of 10 cases.

  Proposed and tested by: phk

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.5       +4 -0      src/sys/dev/gem/if_gem.c

Note that the hme driver gets errors back from the hardware quite often;
our best guess is that the hardware times out trying to push the on card
buffer out to main memory, either due to other bus traffic or due to the
latency timer being set too low.

Jake