Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 01:08:50 +1100
From:      james <death@southcom.com.au>
To:        Lamont Lucas <lamont@cluepon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems attempting to upgrade from 3.4-stable to -current

At 23:38 13/1/2000 -0800, Lamont Lucas wrote:

>Hi, I've been trying unsuccessfully for two days to upgrade to -current on
>one of my machines at home, and was hoping there might be some suggestions
>from the group I could try.
>
>This is the consistant error off of today's -current tree:
>
>cc -O -pipe -elf -Wall -fkeep-inline-functions
>-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c -o
>crt1.o
>cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 12
>*** Error code 1

<snip>

>Any suggestions or work arounds?

Hi,

I had this same problem - although the signal 12 was coming during
installworld when it was installing 'test' or something. My solution was to
just download a snapshot of current, and use the 'upgrade' option on the
install disks. Worked fine. I read on this list about the same time that
there should be no problems at all upgrading from 3.4-STABLE to 4.0-CURRENT
by make world'ing, and that signal 12 really does always mean a hardware
failure - but this is garbage.

Cheers