Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:52:47 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        gek <gekk0@usa.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   How would it work?

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:03:59PM -0700, gek wrote:
> Would there be enough demand for me to locate another place that I could
> set up a mailing list for FreeBSD newbies to ask their questions, chat,
> share tips, etc?
> I think I might be able to find a place, just remember, that a list filled
> with "newbies" may not be able to answer your question, but you won't be
> told not to ask questions on the list.

Having the "place" is not the problem, that's the easiest part to
organise!

Many have suggested a similar thing, so you are not alone there.

Nobody has been able to turn their "I want for me" wish into "we'll do
this for FreeBSD" reality. Nobody has found a way to make it work. No
newbie has ever had the patience and maturity to sit down and plan it
carefuly, figure out how it could work, how it could be sustained, who
would support it and how, and what incentive all parties would have.

If anyone can ever get out of their tantrums long enough to answer all
these questions, housing the list will be no problem at all.

Get real, think, plan, gather resources, then act, and no-one will stop you.

FreeBSD is not a service, it's a community where people do what they
want to do because they have some incentive do it. It's no use
demanding what you want, you have to demonstrate that you know how to
make it work. Nobody has been able to tackle that one yet, but everyone
wants to shed tears over what service they wish would magically appear.

Has anyone even begun to consider which difficulties would need to be
overcome? Or do you all think that it'll just "happen" like magic?

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-