Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 01:01:26 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        FreeBSD commercial support <supporters@nanyang-computer.com>
Subject:   Re: New name?

On Sun, Apr 12, 1998 at 10:36:09PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 01:21 PM 4/13/98 +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> >Other names that were mentioned are "BSD Gold" and "BSD 2000".
>
> "Gold" would imply a premium product. Let's leave that one for
> some enterprising soul who wants to do with the OS what Caldera
> has done with Linux.
>
> As for the "2000" bit: I'd be turned off by bad associations:
> Berke Breathed's "Banana 2000" (Ptui! ;-), the Y2K problem, and
> Microsoft's product nomenclature.

First of all I think the "main branch" or whatever you call it should
remain "FreeBSD". Renaming should happen for supported version of
FreeBSD.

I agree that "Gold" and "2000" are not the best choices. I think you
need to pick a base name, upon which you can afix various endings..
It's really too bad OpenBSD is gone.. ;-)

Like:

	Bad Ass BSD  - Desktop Edition
	Bad Ass BSD  - Enterprise Server Edition

My reasoning is that this way you could pre-package FreeBSD setup
for specific environments. I'm assuming here of course that these
would be products that you're trying to sell outside of the base
"FreeBSD" product. In this manner, you bundle the Desktop Eidition with
Xig's X server pre-configured, with X firing up in VGA mode with
KDE's 'kdm' starting up automagically. It comes with sound card support
build into the kernel, etc, etc..  The server version comes ready with
Apache *running*, PHP3 built into Apache, perhaps the MAX_USERS variable
in the kernel set a little higher, Samba *running*, etc, etc..

Basically pre-configured FreeBSDs witha few add-ons (BRU 2000 backup
for example, Xig x servers, maybe some GUI sysadmin things, etc.) and
"read to go" out of the box for a couple popular environments. Microsoft,
SUn, and others are having pretty good success doing this, I don't see
why it wouldn't work for FreeBSD.

Anyhow, I can't come up with a name to replace "Bad Ass BSD" above. :-)
Time to subscribe to the supporters group. :)

-Mark

P.S. I would love to basically create a company selling the above products.
Essentially a Caldera/Red Hat based on FreeBSD. I know it would fly.. My
only problem is that the banks don't like giving $$$'s to 22 year old
graduates... :-)

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@vmunix.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		    http://www.vmunix.com/mark

	 finger mark@vmunix.com for my PGP key and GCS code