Date:      Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:59:10 +1100
From:      "Chris Martin" <outsidefactor@iinet.net.au>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DAC 960 Tools

Sorry, this is a post to probably a long dead thread, but I found the
earlier posts while I was searching around to find a method of updating the
firmware on, then configuring a DAC960 on my A2100.

I had no problems upgrading to firmware version 2.70 on my Alpha. I got the
latest downloads from:
http://ftp.digital.com/pub/DEC/Alpha/firmware/readmes/v6.6/utility/

Note these files are only good for Alpha servers before the 8x00 series, and
do NOT USE THEM on jensen systems.

I found a very helpful doco at:
http://aa11.cjb.net/tru64_unix_managers/2000/06/0010.html

The above doco was adapted by me a bit, as I just typed ARC at the SRM
console to jump to ARC. After that all the tools worked fine. The flashing
worked great (after I re-read the instructions and saw the bit about
renaming the file name) and the config worked fine. I saw some unusual
behaviour when initialising a RAID 1 disk, where it seemed to hang. I hit
escape and then said no to quit and it continued on fine. Weird.

After that I whacked a Tru64 5.1 CD in the drive and booted fine and
installed the OS. I now have a happy machine. Oh, why Tru64, you ask? Well,
last time I installed FreeBSD time was an issue... That is all seemed fine,
but the clock ran twice as fast. I hunted for a solution and then found that
the Kernel code needed patching for a 2100, and never could get the kernel
to compile after I hacked in the patch. Don't know if 5.2.1 has the same
issue. Anyone know?

Chris Martin