Date:      Sat, 20 Nov 2004 03:18:50 -0800
From:      Joshua Tinnin <krinklyfig@spymac.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org, Tyler Gee <geekout@gmail.com>
Cc:        Moh Bana <moh_bana@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: CD's ?

On Wednesday 17 November 2004 10:02 am, Tyler Gee <geekout@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&r
>ls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=md5sum+windows&btnG=Search
>
> I have never downloaded from a BitTorrent so I am not sure how that
> would change things.  I wouldn't inherently trust it because that
> means it is not coming from an official source and someone could
> basically be planting a security hole in your distribution that you
> would never find.

Well, the way it works is files are divided into pieces, and each is hash
checked (depends on the client, but most do this) - clients act concurrently
as servers even as a file is being downloaded, as chunks of the file become
available. I suppose it's possible to beat the hash checking, but it's fairly
trivial to verify the files with a good degree of certainty once they're
done. The torrents themselves are hosted on a core developer's page on the
fbsd site. I have downloaded all the 386 ISOs to help seed them and take part
in this (even though I updated through cvsup from 5.2.1 through all the betas
to 5.3), as it does lessen the strain on the mirrors - plus, I'm not really a
programmer, so I want to do something to help out.

- jt