Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2001 23:50:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      "John L. Utz III" <john@utzweb.net>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/32895: rebooting between Win98SE and 4.4-20011210 causes pccardc to misplace the CIS

>Number:         32895
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       rebooting between Win98SE and 4.4-20011210 causes pccardc to misplace the CIS
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
pccards no longer get probed after i reboot to stable from Win98.
pccardd returns the 'no card for (null) (null)' line and pccardc dumpcis claims that Tuple #1 is ff and the length is 0.

note that the bridge chipset is correctly probed as a TI113X. note further that this is a computer that requires the ISA interrupt rerouting hw.pcic.irq=0 and hw.pcic.intr_path=1 to avoid a panic on install, but it isnt required after the install
>How-To-Repeat:
once it occurs, it doesnt matter what you do, it remains after any reboot *or* reconfiguration of the interrupt routing
>Fix:
shutdown. and remove the mains. and remove the battery.

it seems like the problem is that the registers in the pccard code arent getting initialized correctly and windows sets them to something that makes freebsd unhappy and freebsd never resets them to the stock setting on reboot. pulling the power probably lets the registers get back to where they belong.

occasonally when rebooting for the first time after pulling the power, the it reports that it inserted and removed each card 2x, but the cards work after that. and the next reboot shoes the cards 'inserting' mormally