Date:      Sun, 12 Oct 1997 17:49:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Brian Somers <brian@awfulhak.org>
Cc:        Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: doc-all collection?

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997, Brian Somers wrote:

> > until I tried to run make install.  I'm thinking perhaps make world could
> > make the skeleton directories for FAQ and handbook?
>
> What exactly went wrong ?  AFAIK, /usr/share/doc/{handbook,FAQ} are
> created at installation time.

Since they were ripped out of the source tree, there have been
some loose ends flapping in the breeze.  Installation is one of
them.  My intention was to wrap them up as ports and install them
in /usr/local/share/doc but I have not had time to work out the
details.  One problem is that these documents to really exist as
distinct versions.  The approach I first took in porting was to
have the "version" be the date of the build and not use the
checksum mechanism.  I posted the dilemma to the ports list and
my solution was sort of frowned upon and I have not done anything
with it since.

Basically, in my mind, the only reason the handbook and FAQ are
in the CVS repository on freefall is for convenient access to
people in a position to work on it.  All other ties (save the
lingering bsd.sgml.mk) to the "official"  FreeBSD source have
been cut.

Unlike man pages which are intimately tied to specific pieces of
code in FreeBSD, the FAQ and Handbook cut across versions and
having 3 separate versions on 3 separate CVS branches was nothing
more than a large headache.  They also required bringing in extra
bloat (sgml tools) to the source tree and binary core binary
distributions.

One of these days, I'll try and get the loose ends tied up, but
if someone beats me to it, I'll be more than happy.  I'll send my
half-baked port to anyone interested!

-john