Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 02:59:55 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD-ROM with magazine

In list.freebsd-advocacy Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl> wrote:
 > 1. Info about the expected date for the release of 4.2. It would look
 > very silly if the magazine came out with 4.1 and 4.2 is there a week
 > later (or earlier...)

November 15th, I think.

 > 2. Examples of CD-ROM's other than the 'official' one. That is a full
 > CD. They won't give me that, I think. Examples of a 'distro'
 > (sorry) of 300 MB would be great.Are there any?
 >
 > 3. Would it look very bad to leave out most of src from the CD?

For an "open source" project it would probably look
somewhat bad.  On the other hand, space on a magazine's
CD-ROM is probably very limited, and sources are useful
for only a small number of users (except kernel sources,
of course).  You should at least include a clear advise
where to find the sources (FTP, CVSup, whatever).

 > Say
 > only include src/sys material? But then sysinstall would have to be
 > tweaked, right?

Well, it depends.  If a user selects "everything" in the
distribution sets menu, the installation will fail because
some sets are missing.  If you want to avoid that, you'll
have to tweak sysinstall, indeed.  Otherwise, if you trust
the users to be wise enough to not select anything that's
not on the CD, you'll be OK with the original sysinstall
(however, be sure to include some docs that point out
clearly that fact).

Take a look at the ISO images at
ftp7.de.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/CD-ROM-images/4.1-RELEASE/

There are two "barebones" ISO images.  The first one is
about 210 Mbytes; it contains the complete base system
(with all sources) plus XFree86.  If you have a 300 Mbyte
limit, then you still have 90 Mbyte left to include some
important packages, like a few shells, editors, clients,
maybe one or two window managers and some small X apps.
Although the Gnome crowd will hate you if you include
KDE, and vice versa, and there's probably no space for
both.  ;-)   Be careful to include all packages which are
required by dependencies [1].

The second ISO is even just 83 Mbytes.  There is no X, and
some less important distribution sets have been omitted.
It contains just bin, catpages, compat*, crypto, ports and
src/ssys (kernel sources only).

Maybe that gives you some ideas.

Regards
   Oliver

PS: [1]  For finding out package dependencies, I've written
a small script.  It's very helpful when putting packages on
CD-ROMs.  I've used it extensively for the German Lehmanns
editions of FreeBSD.  You can find it here:
http://www.fromme.com/scripts/pkg_dep

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)