Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 14:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      IGS System Administrator <sysadmin@host.ott.igs.net>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   pppd idle timeout (or lack thereof)

Hello all,

I am using pppd (kernel PPP) version 2.2 patch level 0beta3 with FreeBSD
2.2.2.  As you may know, there is no idle timeout in this version of pppd.
In the source code (/usr/src/usr.sbin/pppd/options.c, line 265), it shows
that the option "idle-disconnect" is enabled only on Linux systems:

#ifdef _linux_
    {"idle-disconnect", 1, setidle}, /* seconds for disconnect of idle IP */
#endif

Does anyone know why this is the case?  Is there any replacement code that
I could use?

I am hesitant to use iijppp because it is not as easily configurable.
With pppd, I can specify everything for each connection on the command
line.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

   -- Rene Kahle, Systems Manager, IGS

P.S. If you know for sure that it cannot be done, please let me know that
too.