Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 2008 10:22:37 +0100
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: switching discs during install

On Sunday 07 September 2008, James Strother wrote:

> That said, I still think that as long as the freebsd foundation
> distributes CD images it would be worthwhile to make them as
> effective as possible. Actually, even if the install were moved to a
> DVD, the ordered install I proposed would still improve the
> situation. =A0When the packages are haphazardly ordered on the disc,
> the CD/DVD reader is forced to perform a large number of seeks that
> dramatically reduces data throughput. =A0When they are read in order,
> read rates should be much better.

They might not be as haphazard as you suggest. ISTR once reading that=20
the CDs were arranged with the most popular packages on the first CD so=20
that you would only need to download disk 2 (and 3) if you wanted some=20
of the less common packages. With your suggested layout it's quite=20
likely that a package which most of the others depend on would be right=20
down at the bottom of the list with the result that you'd invariably=20
need to download all 3 CD images.

I think the best way to avoid the need for frequent CD switching would=20
be for sysinstall to sort the list of selected packages into CD order=20
before installing them. I imagine this would require some changes to=20
pkg_add to prevent it from installing dependencies and I expect the=20
possible benefits would not be considered to be sufficient to justify=20
the effort.

=2D-=20
Mike Clarke