Date:      Tue, 08 Aug 2000 23:45:39 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Jin Guojun (DSD staff) <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is 5-year old Mylex DAC960 too old?

> Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org> Wrote:
> > > } > I have a couple of 5-year old Mylex DAC960 adapters. The BIOS sees them ha
> > ving:
> > > } >
> > > } >       Vendor ID = 1069        and the Device ID = 0200
> > > } >
> > > } > But the 4.1-RELEASE cannot find it.
> > > }
> > > } This card might be an OEM version; can you check the BIOS/setup utilities/
> > > } stickers on the board etc.?
> >
> > I'd still like to know what this board actually is.  Are there *any*
> > identifying labels/marks on the board at all?
>
> It seems not having setup utilities. No BIOS information.

Have you tried downloading the setup utilities from the Mylex website?
Do they recognise the adapter?

> The stickers on the back:
>
>     one at the handle side --
> 	FCC ID: D5NDAC960PDU-3

Ok.  It's a 3-channel ultra-wide controller; nice, worth having.

>     one at the connector side --
> 	W.O. APL90220-01
> 	    D040378-0
> 		REV. F

I don't know about this; it's a build sticker of some sort, it's possible
that my contact at Mylex can tell me more about it.

> On the front side, in the middle and on the top of the memory slot, there is
> a green module labeled as
> 	DAC960LB DB1
> 	MYLEX CORP

This is a bypass connector for the battery-backup slot.  Don't remove it
- the controller won't work (properly) without it.  You can still buy the
BBUs, AFAIK.

> There is no sign on for the BIOS.

That would suggest that something is quite wrong.  You should get at
least the following:

DAC 960 BIOS Version 3.xx - <date>
Mylex Corporation

  <maybe some stuff about disks>

DAC960PDU Firmware version 3.xx
DAC960 Memory = XX Mbytes (<type>)

The BIOS on these older cards is not very good about PCI bridges.  If
you're not on PCI bus 0, you might want to try moving the card.  Try in a
machine that only has one PCI bus, if possible.

> > How long does it hang here?  If the controller BIOS hasn't run (eg. there
> > is no BIOS, or the BIOS is not x86 code) then this process can take
> > several minutes.
>
> mlx0: <Mylex version 3 RAID interface> port 0xd000-0xd07f mem 0xe3000000-0xe300007f irq 10 at device 9.0 on pci0
> mlx0: controller initialisation in progress...
>
> It deadly hangs. No softboot, no key stroke accepted. Have to do hardware reset.
> I have waited for at least 12 minutes :-(

That would suggest that the card might actually be dead.  Silly question
- is there any RAM in the socket on the board?  Is it RAM that came with
the card, or some that you just dug up?  These boards are a little picky
about memory, and the CPU may not boot with the wrong memory.  Have you
tried both boards?

I'll ask my contacts at Mylex and see if I can find out what the cards
are; for about $70 or so you can get a set of flash PROMs for these cards
that will update them to the most recent firmware - if yours have been
destroyed (eg. by a bad flash update) then that may be the only way out.

Regards,