Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:36:07 -0400
From:      Jan Knepper <jan@digitaldaemon.com>
To:        FreeBSD ISP <FreeBSD-ISP@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   portmap...

All to sudden I see messages appear in the log about portmap...

Of course I have portmap access disabled using /etc/hosts.allow and also
run a firewall, but I wondered what port portmap runs on?

Also, what services really require portmap to run? apache, proftpd,
innd, qmail all work without it as far as I know. So for now I just
terminated portmap and disabled it in rc.conf, but I really would prefer
to disable any communication with it via the firewall as I know I will
need portmap when I bring up nfs.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Jan