Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2013 21:38:13 +0100
From:      Erik Cederstrand <erik@cederstrand.dk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>, David Chisnall <theraven@FreeBSD.org>, Ports FreeBSD <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: LLVM 3.2: official stable port is still LLVM 3.1. Basesystem missing important LLVM pieces!

Den 06/01/2013 kl. 18.25 skrev "O. Hartmann" =
<ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>:

>> In contrast, LLVM changes the ABI (and API!) significantly between =
point releases.  We therefore don't want to encourage anything outside =
of the base system to link against these libraries, because doing so =
would prevent us from importing a new LLVM release every six months - =
we'd either need to ship 4 copies of LLVM by an x.3 release, or stick =
with the one that we shipped in x.0.
>=20
> Indeed, this is a serious point and the developer of LLVM has to be
> blamed for that.

You can't seriously blame LLVM for making progress. If ports rely on a =
specific version of LLVM, it would be far better to create devel/llvm31, =
devel/llvm32 etc.

Erik=