Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 1995 17:09:23 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        esser@zpr.uni-koeln.de, yenbut@cs.washington.edu
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: One cause of 2.05R instability found

>A few days ago, my system (the kernel has the if statement in ncr.c commented
>out) crashed twice after it has been running fine for almost a week:

It seems to be just flaky hardware.

>Fatal trap 12: privileged instruction fault while in kernel mode
>instruction pointer    = 0x8:0xf0128e83
>code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
>                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
>processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, resume,  IOPL = 0
>current process        = 13345 (nntpd)
>interrupt mask         =
>kernel type 1 trap, code = 0
>stopped at _lookup + 0x11b: lcall *%edi

I had an interesting crash like this.  I was running one of my systems
in non-turbo mode to serial test overload conditions.  It crashed on
a privileged instruction.  Examining nearby memory using ddb showed
that there was a single bit error in the instruction.  I restored
the bit and continued successfully.  This system has the "slow refresh"
option set to as slow as possible and I guess that using this violates
the memory specs more when the system is in non-turbo mode.

Bruce