Date:      Fri, 1 Jul 2005 09:47:16 -0400
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org, obrien@freebsd.org
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Suleiman Souhlal <ssouhlal@freebsd.org>, grehan@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-ppc on an external hdd (Mac Mini)

On Thursday 30 June 2005 09:57 pm, David O'Brien wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 07:17:12PM -0400, Suleiman Souhlal wrote:
> > On Jun 30, 2005, at 6:41 PM, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > >Also, what does sysinstall run to look at these partitions?  I
> > >tried 'bsdlabel' to read the list of partitions, but all it would
> > >say was:   "a -m <architecture> option must be specified"
> >
> > We don't support bsd labels on ppc.. I had patches that I sent phk to
> > make them work, about a year ago, but he said he'd rather not have
> > them supported, because of their limits.
>
> At this point with FreeBSD/PPC 6.0-RELEASE happening we can't stick our
> heads in the sand anymore.  What type of labels do we support and which
> non-Sysinstall programs does one use when adding a 2nd disk to their
> system?

GEOM_APPLE knows how to read the Apple labels, so I think what happens is that
you have to create the partitions in OS X and then sysinstall will see them
via GEOM_APPLE so that you can newfs them and stick bits on them.  I believe
that gpt(8) can be used on all of our archs for non-boot disks, and GPT is a
much better format than bsdlabel, MBR, etc.