Date:      Sat, 18 Dec 1999 18:08:20 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
Cc:        Julian Stacey <jhs@jhs.muc.de>, Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: logging incoming calls

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > PS I've heard some countries allow an ID Suppressed By Caller facility,
> > it'd be cute if i4b could display a "Suppressed By Caller" rather than the
> > usual "NotAvailable" for such cases,  or maybe it does already ?

> From: David Wetzel <dave@turbocat.de>
> If someone is calling you at night from an NotAvailable phone, you may not
> want your telephone to ring. You may present him a nice voice:
> "Sorry, but subscriber number 123 can only be reached if you transmit your
> number You may press a key and leave your message"

Nice idea  ( but I dont use the answer-phone part of i4b, so not sure how it
would be done).

> From:		Leif Neland <leif@neland.dk>
> If so, I'd like to make the machine hangup the connection after scolding
> the caller for being so rude as to hide the number...

(Caller suppression was brought in to support EG people who want to phone
Alcoholics Anonymous etc, but I guess it's used more by double glazing
(house window) salesmen ).
Maybe Hellmuth can say if standards (& his code) support, or could support
detection of "caller has suppressed his ID" ?

Whether such a service indicator is available, probably varies per country,
I recall British Telecom do not provide information to receiver, that caller
has suppressed his number, for fear it would reduce phone units billable.

Half change of subject ....

(A)
I'd be happy to write code to add a 3rd column to isdntel.alias to invoke a per
caller dependent optional asynchronous process, to be used as a hook to EG
invoke an xterm & index into a customer file or address book.

(B)
It would be nice to have isdntel.alias support additional synchronous activity
per caller, EG get sound card to turn on & off different ring tones dependent
on class of phone caller (business/social/unwanted-known-nuisance/unknown).
(I haven't looked at source to see where a "stop ringing" event might be
 triggered from.)

A & B both would both use isdntel.alias, so let's agree an isdntel.alias
format that will support both A & B, then we can go off & hack.
At present isdntel.alias just has EG
  123456  "John Smith"
asynch (A) just needs
  123456  "John Smith"  "/usr/local/bin/caller_lookup %d"
but what about supporting synchronous events ? maybe
  123456  "John Smith"  "/usr/local/bin/ring_start %d"  "/u.../ring_stop %d"

Julian
Julian H. Stacey	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/	http://www.jhs.muc.de
   FreeBSD: Free system software with 2500 free packages, Linux compatible.