Date:      18 Mar 97 05:31:43 EST
From:      Berend de Boer <100120.3121@CompuServe.COM>
To:        "'FreeBSD stable'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org>, "'\"Jordan K. Hubbard\"'" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>

You wrote:

>	a) Would the confusion caused by an abrupt name change
>	   exceed the confusion caused by the current conventions?

No. Anyone knowning exactly what stable and current means probably read this
mailing list or other freebsd mailinglists and can be easily notified of the
name change.

The fact is that the current naming scheme is confusing for someone who knows
nothing about FreeBSD.

>	b) Assuming that the answer to (a) is no and now you've got
>	   carte blanche to change things, what names would you choose
>	   to describe the 3 tracks of development (mostly quiescent,
>	   current release track, bleeding edge development) which you
>	   feel would most adequately convey their purpose to the
>	   layperson?  Explain your rationale for each choice.

The names should express the group they target, so I propose:

1. Mature: expresses that this track contains highly matured code.
2. Release: expresses that this is the release most people, new to FreeBSD,
want. Someone who chooses FreeBSD to run some important business on will try
this release, read some docs and then decides if he wants the release or mature
track.
3. Experimental: this name shows that the things in this track are new, largely
untested, etc. You want this only if you want to try out really new things.

Groetjes,

Berend.