Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:35 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        sthaug@nethelp.no
Cc:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Annoying messages on startup..

sthaug@nethelp.no wrote:
> > > jkh@zippy-> dmesg|grep Freeing
> > > Freeing (NOT implemented) redirected ISA irq 11.
> > > Freeing (NOT implemented) redirected ISA irq 10.
> >
> > Nowhere near as annoying as "tagged openings now xx".
>
> Agreed. They are confusing to those who don't know what it means. As for
> me, I just ignore them - ie. they don't do *me* any good either.

And they are actually wrong in the general case.  What happens is that the
system boots up in a kinda compatability mode where the PCI interrupts are
routed to the ISA interrupt sources.  However, once the APIC is started,
this routing stops instantly - we don't have to implement anything, the IRQ
is now free by the hardware.  It is now is quite useable by some other ISA
device, perhaps via PnP or by selecting an interrupt via the IO registers.

I'm pretty sure the message was left out of Steve's caution.

Cheers,
-Peter