Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 00:56:02 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

Terry Lambert said on May 26, 2002 at 15:52:18:
> > > http://www.spectator.co.uk/bookreview.php3?table=old&section=current&issue=2002-05-25&id=997
> >
> > Huh?
>
> Your ability to think about certain concepts is constrained by the
> language(s) in which you are able to think.

We don't think in languages -- we think abstractly.  That is why one
is sometimes at a loss for the "mot juste" -- you know what you want
to say but not how to say it.  That's also why babies can learn a
language in the first place.  I also think in a language (various
languages, depending on the situation), but then I'm basically
"talking to myself" -- repeating a thought which has already been
formulated.

- Rahul