Date:      Wed, 07 Jan 2004 09:16:29 -0600
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Joao Schim <joao@bowtie.nl>
Cc:        Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de>
Subject:   Re: Getting attention (was Re: Where is FreeBSD going?)

Joao Schim wrote:

>On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 14:29:57 +0100
>Marian Hettwer <MH@kernel32.de> wrote:
>

>>Nevertheless, it's not the main point.
>>The main question was: How to give FreeBSD more PR?
>>
>>best regards,
>>Marian
>>

>I've always considered the efforts made by Mr. Lucas, writing
>articles and such, quite impressive.. So maybe we just need a
>whole lot of writing .. HOWTO's,  handbook translations, plain articles.

If FreeBSD (or any *BSD's for that matter) want to get a larger
foothold, and userbase, I think the key is the corporate market, and the
key to that is visible support/resource lines, and visible "quick
response" to serious bugs.

>Also i hear a lot of people complaining that the VA-software sponsored
>sites like slashdot and such are extremely anti-BSD. Cant say im a
>regular visitor of those sites so i wonder if that is a full truth.
>
>btw. does anybody know of a url where a decent comparison in techniques
>used in Linux / BSD's / Windows / ...  it so be viewed ? (non sponsored
>ofcourse)

A lot of slashdotter's and such are anti-bsd on paper - meaning they
whine and try to poke fun at the bsd's, but those same people (in my
view, and many other peoples'), are not really taken seriously by any
real developers or members of projects.  They are mostly the
hide-behind-the-keyboard types.  Slashdot is the digital/online
equivalent of The Enquirer, except the Enquirer is actually funny, and
Slashdot is just pathetic.

Eric

All generalizations are false, including this one.